Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's post traumatic stress

...it's amazing how convincing i can be when i want to/need to be. 

I went over to my parents today after work (7.30ish), to find my parents eating yoghurts at the table and my Josh nowhere to be seen.  They explained that he's really not in a good way, and they were really glad i'd turned up, he's just not himself...he thinks he's got brain damage from the accident...dad said that they'd been sitting talking and laughing just fine, and then he just switched and went all sullen and retreated to his room.

I know that he's had hallucinations, and so could understand the fear of brain damage, and when they said it my heart felt like it skipped a beat; if ANYTHING happens to my brother then my whole world is just not right. 

So i went upstairs, scared of what i'd find.  He told me some of the things that were happening; mood swings, going hot and cold, aching in different places on different days, hallucinations, can't sleep...and i told him that all sounded pretty normal for post traumatic stress, and that i thought that was what he had.  

I explained that i knew Dean had weird things happen after his crash, and that i was convinced that it was the same with Josh.  I told him to expect it to keep on happening for a good few weeks, but that it would eventually stop.  I actually told him Dean said to say that. 

It seems to have worked.  He was much more himself, although that could have been a mood swing again...left him with my laptop for a while, and hoped that it would all stop soon.

And i spoke to Dean about it when i got home, and he agreed with me; pts.  

So, lesson of the day? Sometimes, acting overly confident in something you're not really sure about is definitely the right thing to do :)

No comments: